Home   Directions   Rates   Marina & RV Park   History  

Eddo's Harbor & RV Park
Phone  (925) 757-5314

By Chris Gulick

 According to the original owner Ed Zerman  (aka Eddo) the property was used as a "Rumrunners Camp" during the early twenty's. By the early 50’s,  Eddo’s sported three small cabins, a beached houseboat, approximately 250 ft. of rickety redwood docks (floating on 55 gal. oil drums) and a small fleet of 16 ft. rental fishing boats and motors.

Ol’ Eddo didn’t have much love for trees and as a result with the exception of two small almond trees down by the present day store there wasn’t a tree on the property.

 In 1968, Eddo sold the property to the John Gulick family. For the next few years, fate threw every obstacle imaginable in the path of progress. We couldn’t afford to do much, but we did plant hundreds of trees.  By 1972, the marina had added 10 new  26’ covered berths, a launch ramp, and was freshly dredged. On the back side of the levee 2.5 acres of farmland had been transformed into a tent campground. It had no hookups, but fresh water was available at the well and it even had his and hers outhouses!

 In  1978, the year I graduated high school, all of the remaining original docks were replaced with an additional 33 new covered berths. The marina was dredged again, and due mainly to the rising costs involved, the rental boats were retired as that phase of Eddo’s history ended.  By 1988, the campground had been transformed into the full hookup RV park that you see today.

As the second generation of Gulick’s takes the helm here in 2005, a number of plans are in the works, but one thing that will never change is the peace and quiet we have achieved for our friends and guests.

Interesting artifacts below - click on the thumbnails to view a larger image. Use your back button to return.

1948 - Navigational Map

Sherman Island and surrounding area. Note that Franks Tract is labelled "temporarily submerged". The island was never reclaimed and is a good bass fishing area today.

1968 - Newspaper Article

Antioch Ledger article about the Gulick family on the purchase of Eddo's.

1968 - Aerial view of Eddo's

There was not a lot there when the Gulick family started. Photo taken by M.C. Nottingham, Chris' grandfather.

1968 - The Gulick family enjoying one of the rental boats.

John, Ellen, Chris and Patti.

1969 - Highway 160

John, Patti and Chris standing on Hwy 160. Note the "old" Antioch drawbridge in the background. Two days after this photo was taken, this spot was under 8 feet of water due to the levee break. Just one of those little obstacles from the early days!

1973 - Store, home and gas dock

View of the dock from Gallagher Slough. Note that the flotation is still 55 gallon drums.

1973 - Spring Campers

Early beginnings of the campground. Note how small those trees are! View taken from road facing toward site 101.

1988 - The running of the sheep!

Occasionally, the local reclamation district uses sheep to graze the sides of the levee. This practice continues even today!

2007 - Fast fun on the Delta

Diablo Jet Ski Action taking the green flag from the entrance of Gallagher Slough, August 2007. For more info - visit our friends at www.diablojsa.com Organized PWC events all year 'round!

2008 - Visit by the 1891 Scow Schooner "Alma"

In June, the San Francisco Maritime Museum held a "gunkhole" that started and ended at Eddo's. Star of the show was the 1891 Scow Schooner Alma The TSCA (Traditional Small Craft Association) of Sacramento also brought about 30 boats. A great time was had by all. To learn more about the Alma and go sailing on her, visit www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/alma.htm